No matter how you feel about the Affordable Care Act, the overall goal of the program is to provide access to affordable, high-quality health care — and that’s a goal we strive for at Kids Plus every single day.
What do parents need to know, and how can you make this work for your family? That can get a little complicated, depending on your situation. But to start, you need to know…
A Few Basic Details
- You must have health insurance, or face tax penalties.
- If you already have insurance through your employer, that can stay the same, or your employer may choose to have employees use the online insurance marketplaces.
- If you don’t already have insurance, you can shop for coverage on the new online insurance marketplaces (also called insurance exchanges) for each state. Plans are surprisingly affordable compared to what we’re used to, and there are subsidies available to help low- and moderate-income families.
- You can no longer be denied coverage for pre-existing conditions, nor can insurers cancel your coverage if you get sick.
- Kids Plus accepts all major and most minor insurance plans.
- You should always know your coverage prior to scheduling with us, so we recommend you call to make sure we’re in network with your ACA insurance provider.
Important Items for Children & Young Adults
- All plans must include coverage for basic well-child care, including immunizations, vision, and dental care.
- Young adults can remain on their parents’ health insurance until they turn 26 years old.
- Young adults who aged out of foster care at 18 years or older are eligible to receive coverage through Medicaid until they turn 26 years old. People adopted from foster care may qualify for Medicaid coverage until age 26, depending upon income.
The American Academy of Pediatrics has developed some great resources to explain this information in more detail, and to help you to access Pennsylvania’s online registry. Check them out here: What Your Family Needs to Know (w/ Links)
As always, if you have any questions or concerns, just give us a call in the office. We’re always happy to help in any way we can!